Sunday, July 30, 2017

Castlevania

My friend Jeddy recently wrote a review of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, which confirms what everyone already suspected: I am an idiot for liking this game.

Seriously, though, I liked the game. It was my introduction to the Castlevania series; my grandmother got the game for me when I was in high school. I liked it a lot, with its exploring and collecting and cool magic system that the series immediately got rid of after this game.

The prevailing opinion of gamers and the Internet is that Circle of the Moon is not a good game. People prefer the NES and SNES games that came before it. That's a perfectly valid opinion. The series adapted accordingly. The sequels became more similar to the SNES games, and less like Circle of the Moon. Game #2, Harmony of Dissonance, is about half-SNES and half-Circle of the Moon. Game #3, Aria of Sorrow, is full-blown SNES style, and it's the GBA game that's most popular.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. Not having played the SNES games, I can't be sure.

So the Internet and fans in general think the series got better, with each new GBA game. I'm sort of the opposite, 'cause I liked the first game the best, and I wasn't too happy to see the series move away from it.

Maybe I'll do a walkthrough for the game someday. Probably not, as it'd be a long walkthrough, and I don't think it'd appeal to my subscribers, who prefer casual adventure games. And can I just say, the speedruns for this game are incredible! I had no idea that it was possible to get through the game without killing a single enemy (besides the bosses). Not only is that possible, but it's ideal for timesaving.

No comments: