Monday, June 19, 2017

Preparing for Confession

I got a comment on this blog, asking how to prepare for the sacrament of Confession. People normally make an examination of conscience, to help prepare for confession.

I like to take some time, by myself in silence, just to think over my life, see where I'm at, figure out what I'm doing wrong, what I need to improve on, what I'm doing right, where I'm going, that sort of thing. I also like doing this, during Eucharistic adoration, because I can concentrate and focus better.

The marriage group that Katie and I are in, Teams of Our Lady, recommends a similar practice. Each month, we sit down and discuss our marriage, our lives, our family, and so on. It's very good, and I'd recommend it to anyone who's married, even if they aren't in a religious marriage.

Some people prefer reading a reflection to prepare for Confession, or to go through a list of probing questions. The US Bishop's website has some samples, as an idea of what you can do. I've seen multiple guides, based on the ten commandments. I imagine there's probably one based on the seven deadly sins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you Michael! This is very helpful and informative. The only problem I still have is I feel like I either say too little or too much during confession. But I will definitely check out the Ten Commandments guide for confession!