Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Old Clock Speedrun Planning 14

You have to do a lot of driving in "Nancy Drew: Secret of the Old Clock". Not only is there the trivet fetch quest, but you have to visit Waddell's twice, Jim Archer's four times, and the endgame challenge is driving. My goal with the speedrun is to combine these trips as much as possible, that way you don't have to buy gas or do the lengthy telegram delivery puzzle.

Combining the Waddell trips with the Archer trips is easy enough, as they live next door to each other. With the trivet fetch quest, you visit a lot of spots. Titusville Telco is the only one close to Lilac Inn, and Twin Elms is the one farthest from Lilac Inn, so I'm thinking something like this:

First trip to town: Travel to Twin Elms to start the trivet quest, visit Waddell/Archer on the way to Titusville Telco. Go to orphanage twice, print shop, fishing, then print shop.
Second trip: Go to Titusville Telco, visit Waddell/Archer on the way to Twin Elms to finish the trivet quest.
Third trip: Archer
Fourth trip: Archer

In my practice run, I got to the point where I finished the first trip into town and got to the ham radio. But then my game came to a grinding halt, when I did Topham's silly logic puzzle of "dry up", "big cheese", "all wet", etc. I have the right answers, but Topham won't accept them. So I can't talk to him and progress. I'll have to restart. *grumble grumble*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Topham puzzle, you have to capitalize the first letter in each word for him to accept your answer.

Andrea P said...

Actually, in my copy of the game it is not necessary to capitalize the first letters.

Anonymous said...

Don't you have to visit the general store too? Also I think it would be quicker for you to deliver one telegram and buy all the toys at the store than to play mini golf twice and deliver zero telegrams.