Monday, May 8, 2017

Being Mean to People

Yesterday, I said being mean to people for something they have no control over doesn't help anything. Boy, is that true!

It happened to me all the time, when I was in training to become a priest. People held me personally responsible for everything the Pope/Bishops said or did. It wasn't me! Don't yell at ME because you dislike the Pope! And hypothetically, let's say I agree with you. So what? I can't change Catholic doctrine, because someone on the street yelled at me.

The same thing happened when I was at the IRS. I got blamed for both President Obama and President Trump, as if I personally swore them into office. Okay, so you don't like the President. Yelling at me about the President doesn't help the situation. That doesn't change any tax laws! And besides, the IRS doesn't make tax laws, to begin with! If you don't like the current tax laws, contact your Congressman and tell them to write some new ones!

The silly part is that we pay taxes a year behind, and Congress makes laws in advance. So all the new laws that went into effect this tax year? They're from the PATH Act (Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes), which Congress came up with in 2015. Blaming prominent politicians from 2016 is not only pointless, but factually inaccurate.

Are there people who do this all the time? Like, they yell at strangers when things don't go their way? Do they yell at the McDonald's drive-thru and expect that McDonald's is going to change their recipes? Do they post angry things on Twitter, and expect celebrities to quit? Do they write passive-aggressive blog posts months after the fact, and--uh oh, I've become one of them! Noooooooo!

1 comment:

Nancybean said...

I truly feel that the more dependent we are on anonymous social media interaction, the more we feel that it is okay to treat people as if they are a discussion board or social media post.

When I was growing up, I learned "the Golden Rule" which was to treat others in the manner to which I wish to be treated. I feel that in this day and age, this simple etiquette has become sadly obsolete.

People choose to take aggressions and frustrations on those that that can do little to fight back or make the necessary changes to please them. I am sorry you got yelled at but at least you held yourself above stooping to their level.

Fight the power! Oh wait. I am not Nick Falcone. Darn you, Nick Falcone! Stop making your endlessly annoying phrase stuck in my head!