Friday, April 14, 2017

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I saw someone playing the new Zelda game on the bus yesterday! I couldn't tell what was going on, but then again, I was busy trying to watch the game while pretending I'm NOT watching the game, because it's creepy to lean over someone's shoulder on the bus to watch their game screen.

From what I can tell, the game looks like it's filled with a lot of open-world exploration. And I don't want to sound mean, but that's one of the things I disliked about the GameCube Zelda games. Yes, it's neat to have a large open world with beautiful graphics and fancy stuff to look at. But I don't like looking at scenery! As I talked about last week with adventure game design, I'd rather have one screen with six things to do on it, as opposed to six screens with only one thing to do.

That was Wind Waker to a T. It has 49 islands, but the vast majority of them are oneshots, with only one thing to do, like a minigame or a puzzle for a piece of heart. I prefer something like Majora's Mask which tried to jam-pack a ton of stuff into one area, or something like Ocarina of Time which makes you redo areas twice or more. (Yeah, that was probably due to hardware/space limitations, but maximizing the use of a game location isn't a bad idea!)

I'm going to guess that the new Zelda game is like the others, and about halfway through, you unlock the ability to warp from one location to another, cutting down on all the "walking through large, empty fields" time. Because we were on the bus for over twenty minutes, and that is literally all the guy did. He was going through large fields, with occasional trees. At one point, he found a wooden structure and at one point, he found a lake with rocks. I wanted to see dungeons and puzzles and monster fighting!

I know I might sound negative in this blog, but I still want to get the game and play it myself. Just...I might skip over the exploration parts and get to the action/story/puzzle parts.

1 comment:

rewkol said...

It's not too bad. You actually unlock the ability to fast travel in the tutorial, so if you want to cut down on a lot of travel time you can do so from the get go. Personally I'm really enjoying the exploration, to the point where I've played over 20 hours and have only just gotten to the first dungeon! That's just my opinion; I can understand wanting classic Zelda design as well.