Thursday, April 6, 2017

Yooka-Lalee

This month, they're release Yooka-Lalee, the spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie. I loved the original Banjo-Kazooie, which is a funny and challenging game.

The first level, Mumbo's Mountain, is particularly well-designed, and now that I've kind of written an adventure game, it makes me wonder if I can translate that level design into an adventure game.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think that level has three main areas. Each area has two puzzle pieces for you to get, along with a new move. The new moves interlap, so that the new movie in area 1 unlocks a puzzle piece in area 2, new move in area 2 unlocks a puzzle piece in area 3, and new move in area 3 unlocks a puzzle piece in area 1. So you're encouraged to visit each area multiple times to get everything.

That could work in an adventure game, right? You have three different screens. Each screen has two self-contained puzzles and an item that's used to solve a puzzle on a different screen. Maybe throw in a final puzzle, which requires an item from all three screens. That would be an okay setup, right?

No comments: