Thursday, March 30, 2017

Endeavors

Katie and I are in a Catholic marriage group called "Teams of Our Lady". The group meets monthly, and I really liked the reading for last month. It was all about living proactively, deliberately changing your behavior to achieve great results.

Like Fulton Sheen says, if you don't live what you believe, you end up believing what you live. People need to take responsibility for their own lives. The way you act is determined by your decisions, not by your conditions. By making a conscious choice based on your values, you can change your behavior.

This is why Teams of Our Lady has certain rules, or endeavors, that members are expected to live up to. It's not because we're a bossy organization that likes telling people what to do; we're trying to help the members have a positive behavioral change.

The one endeavor that has been most helpful is a monthly sit down, where Katie and I take an hour or so to sit down and talk about our lives, our relationship, our family, where things are going. I think it helps avoid a lot of problems, by having this forum where we can be present and listen to each other. It's too easy to get wrapped up in your own stuff and neglect your spouse, and I'm glad we have regular sit downs to avoid that.

Another endeavor is called the "rule of life", which can be as complex as St. Benedict's rule of life, or it can be as simple as "I'm going to smile at everyone I meet". I've been in Teams for over a year, but I haven't really had a rule of life yet. So I decided to tie my rule of life in with Lent and made it my Lenten promise to read a chapter of the Bible each day. I pick up my New Testament during my first work break, I read a chapter and reflect on it. I've only missed a few days so far. I hope that I can keep it going, even after Lent is finished.

1 comment:

HouseofOtters said...

Cool! Wish we had something like that here.