Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Editors as Ghostwriters

I recently read an interview with Ellen Miles, who wrote the Baby-Sitters Club mystery series. It turns out that she and Jan Carr, another BSC ghostwriter, both worked for the book publishers.

That's kind of sad news for me, because I would LOVE to ghostwrite a Nancy Drew book someday. But I'm just some random dude on the Internet; I can't compete with someone who literally works in the same building as the publishers.

So all of my favorite kids series--Baby-Sitters Club, Animorphs, Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew--had books that were written by editors. I have to wonder why. Is it just a cost-saving measure? Is it favoritism? Or maybe the book DID have a ghostwriter at first, but the ghostwriter did such a terrible job, the editor had to rewrite practically everything?

I'm sure there are a lot of fun behind-the-scenes stories with ghostwriters and editors. Or not. I've seen some pretty tame stories, where the ghostwriter just sent in the manuscript, and that was that.

No comments: