Sunday, February 26, 2017

Sci-Fi Idea

I had an idea for a science fiction premise. You know how men and women have XY chromosomes and XX chromosomes, respectively? What if genetic scientists made a person with YY chromosomes? What would that look like? My wife said they could take it further, and have someone with an XZ chromosome set show up. Sounds like a good plot twist!

The premise sounds good to me, but I have no idea how I'd develop it for a game or whatever. I'm not really a science fiction writer. I'm sure a good, clever writer could turn this into an interesting story, maybe even one that reflects on current transgender issues.

I don't have any other science fiction ideas, except for a reverse Galileo, where a courageous religious person stands up to oppressive social forces and condescending academics who refuse to admit they could be wrong. That happened when GK Chesterton opposed euthanasia in the early 1900's, and I'm sure the Catholic priest who came up with the Big Bang theory received at least SOME pushback from the scientific community for trying to apply the Biblical version of creation to the physical universe. Those have the potential for interesting stories! But that's less of "a creative science fiction idea from me" and more of a "I'm sick of seeing Galileo stories that cast religion as a villain that must be defeated at all costs; let's put the shoe on the other foot for once".

3 comments:

Allie said...

The X chromosome has a lot of genes that are necessary to live, so someone with YY chromosomes wouldn't survive to birth!

Michael Gray said...

Science fiction often has many things that are impossible!

Anonymous said...

Salmon can survive with YY