Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I first read "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in 1999. It was amazing, and I loved it. It's a very imaginative book about a boy who goes to a wizard school. There's all sorts of fun magic, clever details, and I highly recommend it.

Looking back now, it seems kind of quaint. Like, there's a chapter where Harry learns the rules of Quidditch, the wizard sport. A full chapter, just for that! It's kind of cute, especially since the movies more or less cut out all the Quidditch.

Most of the book is like that: introducing things and world-building. I liked the various teachers and how the school was set up. The ending to the book is particularly good. Harry and his two friends have to go through a magical obstacle course, and each character gets a chance to shine. Even poor clumsy Neville gets props at the end. I liked it.

The only part I didn't really like was the first chapter, which is more like a prologue to the entire series. When I loaned the book to my family members, I told them to skip over the first chapter and get to the interesting part with Harry.

If you have any questions about Harry Potter, let me know. I feel like this review was pretty generic.

4 comments:

tjbernad said...

Michael, what was your favorite HP book?

Anonymous said...

PHILOSPHER'S STONE
not sorcerer's

Anonymous said...

Are there any other relevant things in the book that the movie ignored? from 0-10 how much do you rate the movie's respect to the book in terms of plot, dialogue and general setting?

Anonymous said...

It is sorcerer's stone in the US edition, and philosopher's stone in the UK :)