Wednesday, December 21, 2016

New York Introductions

I finally got a chance to watch the new Captain America movie. Captain America and Spider-Man have a conversation that goes something like this:

Captain: Wow, you're pretty good! Where are you from?
Spidey: Queens.
Captain: Cool. I'm from Brooklyn.

In real life, do people from New York introduce themselves like that? When I'm introducing myself to someone, and I don't know where they're from, I say, "I'm from Portland". I don't say "I'm from Mount Tabor" or "I'm from the Pearl District" or whatever. I just refer to the closest big city that people may have heard of, even though I don't live in the city limits.

Now I'm reminded of a Nancy Drew fanfic I wrote where she and the Hardys go to New York, and the author assumed you knew the intricate details of where things are located in that city. New York is a really big city, if I'm not mistaken!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friends who live in Manhattan will say "New York" never, Manhattan, but if they are from Queens or Brooklyn they say those things (while in the North East)

Maybe if they go somewhere far away like LA or Austin, and someone asked them where they live, they may say NYC, though, but maybe not!

Alex C. said...

I often catch myself saying I'm from Brooklyn, even though Brooklyn, NY technically isn't the only Brooklyn in the USA! Otherwise, I usually say I'm from NYC no matter where I am in the world (maybe I'm just that obnoxious LOL).