I'm still figuring out how to balance my YouTube work, with my new full-time maternity leave job. On the bus ride to and from work, it's pretty easy for me to watch my videos, review them for any problems, write video descriptions and figure out thumbnails. I can use my headphones and not bother anyone.
So I guess that means weekends are for the YouTube work I can't do on the bus, such as recording and editing videos. Right now, I've got a few walkthroughs that need major editing. With Phoenix Wright, I use specialized software to crop the videos, before I edit them together. It's not that bad. It's just time consuming, especially at the parts of the game where you constantly switch between screens. Yes, it's a few extra minutes of work for me to include a ten-second clip, where I select "yes or no" on the bottom screen.
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance Nuzlocke and Paper Mario N64 are long games, and they're console games. That means the audio and the video are done in separate files, and they have to be synced up manually. Let me tell you, it's not easy. I tried to get the timings right, by doing a "three, two, one, GO!" countdown whenever I started recording. But usually, the audio is about a half-second off. The good news is that I do silly voices in the Paper Mario walkthrough, so it's pretty easy to tell if my commentary is ahead of the video or not.
The nasty part is when the video footage itself has syncing issues, which happens more often than I'd like. (I'd like it to happen never.) The easy solution is to run the video through a converter; converting it to an .avi file seems to do the trick, two-thirds of the time. The other third of the time, I have the harder solution of removing the audio and manually syncing it up. That happened with Paper Mario video 15, for some reason. A few seconds of audio magically disappeared, during the part where Mario plays a gramophone. I have no idea why or how that happened.