Friday, November 4, 2016

Star Trek: Deep Space 9: Harbinger

I'm recording a walkthrough for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Harbinger, a 1995 PC game based on the TV series. It's a pretty good game! The main problem is that the navigation is awful. Clearly, the designers were more concerned with being faithful and accurate to the show than they were with having an overworld that's easy to get around in.

It takes about two minutes to get from one side of the game to the other. Yes, in the show, Ops and the Docking Bays are far apart. But as a player, I don't want to have two minutes of walking through mostly empty corridors to get from Point A to Point B. And you have to make this trip multiple times.

I just lost an hour and a half of progress, because the game failed to auto-save before a battle sequence, like it is supposed to. I'm debating whether to play back to where I was, or to stop playing the game entirely. I'm on Video #20, I'd be forced to restart from Video #10. According to other walkthroughs, I'm about 40% of the way through the game.

2 comments:

Paul Franzen said...

Oooh, man!! Sorry this is off-topic, but if you're playing Star Trek games you should TOTALLY check out the Star Trek FMV games: Star Trek - Klingon and Star Trek - Borg. It's...kind of a pain to get them to work, but they're fantastic. Like playable episodes of the show. (Or so I understand. I...haven't actually watched that much of the show.)

cheap dissertation writing services uk said...

Many TV game shave the impact on the children. The specified game shoe lot of attraction for the people. It cause the real big amazing attractive ask for the children. The game make best form for the timely accurate playing tech piques