Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Portland Protests

Last week, I had a run-in with the Portland protests. You might have seen them on the national news, because one of their protests turned into a riot. When I first heard about the protesters, my initial response was confusion. Why are they protesting against Trump in a city where Clinton won over 75% of the vote? Wouldn't it make more sense to protest against Trump in an area that is populated by Trump supporters? Also, they keep trying to shut down traffic, by blocking bridges and freeways. What's the point of doing that?

The protesters shut down Fifth Avenue, which is the city's main bus hub. Both of my routes home were delayed as a result. That made me really, really mad. I didn't vote for Trump! I'm just a guy who's trying to get home to have dinner and see his family! Why do they feel the need to ruin my commute? Seriously, they could have moved over one block and avoided all this drama.

I didn't actually see the protesters, because there was a police barricade. The police lights kept flashing blue and red, making it hard to see in that direction. At one point, the protest moved closer to where I was. The protesters got louder, and I could make out individual chants, like "No Trump! No KKK! No racist USA!". Previously, it was all a bunch of indistinct shouting, mostly dwarfed by a policeman on a megaphone, giving instructions. The police barricade moved closer to me at this point, with the lights getting bigger and bigger.

I don't know about you, but when an angry mob and police are coming towards me in one direction, I go in the other direction. I walked far enough away, to be out of range for the protest, and went to a different bus stop. The bus was late, obviously, and filled with a bunch of angry people who weren't able to catch the previous bus home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the American Music Awards, Green Day chanted "No Trump, No KKK, no fascist USA." Thats probably what the protesters were saying