Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Pizza Job

Yesterday was my last day as a pizza delivery driver. I suppose it's only appropriate that I ended my job at the pizza place on a four-day Halloween weekend. Halloween is the busiest time of the year for pizza! In my mind, Halloween = candy, but I guess in other people's minds, Halloween = pizza.

Friday wasn't as bad as I expected. It was more or less a normal Friday, just a little busier. Maybe 20% busier? The problem is that the high school ordered 50 extra-large pizzas, and another party ordered 6. So that is 56 extra-large pizzas, all at the same time. That created a huge bottleneck of 45 to 60 minutes, where the store only did two orders. Everything else got delayed.

Meanwhile, the website still gave customers the standard "we'll have your order done in 20 minutes!" message. A lot of people complained about that. I think the person at the front cashier wants to strangle the webmaster now.

Most of the other drivers tried to set things up, so they could take multiple deliveries on the same trip. I decided not to play that game, and I just took whatever pizzas were available. I ended up taking nothing but singles that night. The closest I would have come to a double is "wait seven extra minutes for them to make a pizza, which is four minutes out the way of the one I'm already delivering", and while it would have been a nice double, that would have made both orders late. I also made a point of calling everyone, right before I left to deliver their pizza, and I was liberal with the "sorry your pizza is ridiculously late" discounts.

Saturday was busy, but it went fine, except for the part where the computer glitched or something, and it refused to let me take any deliveries. There were four different deliveries ready, and I tried every single one in turn. The computer didn't accept it. I tried to get one of the manager/supervisor people to help me out, but they were too busy. After five minutes, I still didn't know what was wrong, but a new delivery came out in the meantime, and the computer accepted that. So I ended up leapfrogging deliveries 1-4, and taking delivery 5. My apologies to everyone who got skipped over unfairly and ended up receiving late(r) pizzas.

I didn't work Sunday, but apparently, it was a disaster. A supervisor left work two hours early without telling anyone, nobody did any prep work for the big (50+ people) party that ordered everything a week in advance, and they disconnected the phone lines because they didn't want to take any more orders. I'm pretty sure someone is getting fired over this.

On Halloween proper, I had the opening shift. The first hour and a half was spent doing things that the closing crew didn't do, like take out the trash, wipe down the tables and fill all the empty food containers. I expected them to be pretty low on food supplies, so it wasn't a surprise or anything. Smart people sent in their Halloween orders early, so I made their pizzas and put them in the fridge. That way, all the night crew had to do was take them out and put them through the oven. I hope that means they got their pizzas on time!

And that's it! No more pizza making for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael, why did you support Bernie Sanders? You are a Catholic and have indicated that you are pro-life, but Bernie Sanders supports abortion and same-sex marriage like Clinton does. As Catholics and Christians, it is our duty to protect life, marriage, and religious liberty.
I'll make my case here. There is a Big difference between the two current Republican and Democratic presidental candidates.

Here are Trump's good points along with Mike Pence:
-he is pro-life
-he is for traditional marriage
-he will appoint Supreme Court Justices, who are pro-life, and will overturn Roe vs. Wade and probably also overturn the same-sex marriage decision of last year
-he will protect the Hyde Amendment, which has saved millions of lives of unborn babies
-he will protect religious liberty
-he will repeal the Johnson Amendment, which is the IRS's restriction on churches' free speech
-he will defund Planned Parenthood, the business that kills the most unborn babies

Now about Clinton:
-Clinton said that "religious beliefs" against abortion and same-sex marriage "have to be changed"
-both Clinton and Kaine support partial birth abortion, which is the worst way to kill an unborn baby. It is grotesque.
-Clinton wants to do away with the Hyde Amendment, which will be a diaster to the pro-life movement
-Clinton said that the unborn person has no rights
-Clinton feels we shoulld Not overturn Roe v Wade and she wants to protect abortion

So what the heck is wrong with the Catholics, who are going to support a candidate, who believes in the "right" to murder an innocent baby? There is nothing worse than abortion. Nothing!

Also saying that since Obama's speech was so passionate, he should run a third time, what are you saying? Obama is the man, who went after the Little Sisters of the Poor in order to force them to pay for birth control or else they will be fined like crazy. Obama is also the one, who has rejected any bill to come his way that would have protected an unborn baby. Obama, as an Illinois senator, voted against the Illinois' Born Alive Infant Protection Act, which would have protected babies born alive during a botched abortion and would require that the baby get medical treatment to live rather than left to die. Obama is also the one, who gave a massive order that forces all schools to let anyone use either male or female bathrooms if they feel like it. Obama voted against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act in 2001, 2002, and 2003. For people wanting him to run again, it is a slap in the face to God and the unborn.

And no, as Catholics, we are not okay at all with Planned Parenthood, which makes their big money off the killing of unborn babies and then sells the baby's body parts to make even more money. And there are health centers for women that really do help women and do not perform abortions. The money should be taken out of Planned Parenthood to fund these good women health centers.

Of course, you can research all that I have put on here, because it is true. For the unborn and for Jesus, who really loves children, vote pro-life. God bless.