Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Final Debate

The third and final Presidential debate was yesterday. Thank goodness it's over. Here are all my general thoughts!
  • Both candidates seem to think the election is rigged against them. Trump says outright that he thinks the election is rigged, while Hillary says that Russia is trying to rig the election by hacking her emails and releasing them.
  • Both candidates criticized Russia, although Trump prefers to criticize China. Someone needs to tell them that the Cold War ended decades ago. No, but seriously, I dislike how both candidates are so cavalier when it comes to international conflicts. The news reports about how the situation in Syria right now could lead to World War 3 are terrifying, and I'd like both candidates to be firmly opposed to it.
  • Trump refused to say if he would honor the final results, if he lost the election. If you remember, he said the same thing in the primaries, multiple times. It's a business negotiation tactic. I don't think it's a good one, but it certainly gets him lots of headline news articles.
  • The moderators need some way to force a candidate to answer a "yes or no" question. Currently, the moderator does this by repeating the question over and over again, and it's kind of painful to see the candidates deliberately not answer a direct question, multiple times in a row.
  • On Facebook, the debate seems to have started a battle of the sexes, which reminds me of the kerfuffle over the all-female Ghostbusters movie, only worse. Last I saw, both sides are unintentionally competing, to see who can say the most offensive, sexist things. I'm staying out of it.
Nancy Drew for President, 2016.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont get the entire "It's undemocratic to stand up and fight if you believe the election was rigged by corruption" thing people are saying. So it is better for someone just to accept results that have been gotten by fraud?

I also think making Russia the scapegoat because your emails are embarrassing is also really dangerous. Its really scary to accuse other nations of things like this in such a flippant way, just to get some votes. I dont understand why people want to go to war with russia so much when we are already in a large number of wars and loosing.


Stephanie said...

@Anonymous 9:16 AM Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Do you have ANY facts to back-up your election rigging statement? The Wikileak drop of HRC's emails has been traced to Russia. Do you just believe whatever The Donald says just because you watched the Celebrity Apprentice? SMH

Anonymous said...

Stephanie your comments are not appropriate. You have the right to your opinion, but it is very rude to come on Michael's blog and attack others because they do not support your world view. And because you did not even understand what was said.

What I was saying is that these are setting scary precedents. Warmongering is dangerous, already Turkey is saying things are getting too heated and dangerous.

Similarly, setting a precedent that election results must never be questioned is dangerous – for the future. I was talking about hypotheticals, not this particular race. Our system relies on a built-in system of checks and balances, and if we give that up, it opens a window for oppressive rule. Not now, but in the future.

I am not a Trump supporter, and I never saw his TV show. For someone who talks about facts, you jump to a lot of assumptions.

But while you go low, I am going high. Best to you.

Stephanie said...

@Anonymous @12:50 PM First, if Michael feels my comments 'are not appropriate' he will deal with it. Unless you're a moderator I feel it's 'not appropriate' to call me out.
Second, the topic of of blog was last night's debate. For you to say that your comments were not about 'this particular race' and were 'hypothetical' confuse me.

Perhaps you just had the urge to express random thoughts and decided to post them here? If so, I apologize if I misunderstood.

Keep soaring...