Friday, October 28, 2016

President of US Bishops Elections

Blogger is telling me that last week's blog about the new Catholic Cardinals was unexpectedly popular! As in, twice as many views as the other blog entries. I guess I can follow it up with a similar blog, about the U.S. Bishops!

They're electing a President and Vice-President this year. The position lasts for three years. The ten candidates are...

  • Cardinal DiNardo of Galveston-Houston, the current Vice-President.
  • Archbishop Chaput, OFM Cap., of Philadelphia
  • Archbishop Gomez of Los Angeles
  • Archbishop Lori of Baltimore
  • Archbishop Vigneron of Detroit
  • Archbishop Aymond of New Orleans
  • Archbishop Coakley of Oklahoma City
  • Archbishop Wenski of Miami
  • Archbishop Wester of Santa Fe
  • Bishop Flores of Brownsville

I have heard of the four Archbishops who I put first on the list. I haven't heard of any of the other candidates before.

The way the election works is that they have a vote. If nobody gets over 50%, they have a second vote. If nobody gets over 50%, everyone drops out, except for the top two candidates. Then, they have a third vote. I don't know what they'd do, if the third vote tied.

There are five other elections, for various committees. I looked at the ballot, and again, it's mostly people I haven't heard of before. The exception is the Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis, which is a vote between Bishop Robert Barron and Bishop Frank Caggiano. They're both good people, who I follow on Facebook. I imagine they were nominated, in part because they're good at using things like Facebook and Twitter to communicate with the modern world at large.

No comments: