Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Misleading Game Advertisements

I downloaded Mobile Strike and Game of War on my phone, because they had these cool playable ads. Mobile Strike had one where you fight off attacking tanks, while Game of War had a similar one where you put buildings in strategic places to fend off an attacking army.

As it turns out, the ads have absolutely nothing to do with the actual games themselves. They're both city creation games, like Simpsons Tapped Out. Like, occasionally you fend off attackers, but not in the way you do it, in the advertisements. It would be cool if they kept the ad gameplay for, like, a minigame or something.

I kind of want to slip in a parody of this into my next game. Something like...

Main Character: Oh, yeah! Today the new Trojan War game comes out!
Main Character: I've been waiting for this! The demo was so cool! It was this awesome fighting sim!
*Game plays. It has ultra-realistic graphics.*
Menelaus: I shall defeat you in single combat, Paris!
Paris: Nay, the gods favor me today!
*Paris has attacked! Do you counterattack or defend?*
*Smash! Clang! Clash!*
*Awesomeness!*
Main Character: Yeah, I've been looking forward to this.
Main Character: Oh, great, the game is done downloaded. Let's check it out!
*Game plays. It has cheap-looking graphics.*
Scantily-clad woman: I'm the goddess Athena! Tee hee! Welcome to Troy!
Main Character: What.
Athena: Uh oh! The Trojan army looks big and scary! We'd better defeat them!
Athena: But first, we need to build a farm to help feed our army!
Athena: Tap here to build a farm.
Main Character: What? Where's the fighting?
Athena: As you can see, there are three types of farms.
Athena: This one takes ten minutes to build, and this one takes twenty minutes.
Athena: But the Special Farm only takes four seconds to build! It costs $5, and it produces over 100 times as much food!
Athena: (At least until Level 4, at which point it falls so far behind, you'll need to pay an extra $5 to upgrade it.)
Athena: Want to buy the Special Farm for $5?
*Game has a yes button and a no button. The yes button is huge and takes up most of the screen. The no button is small.*
Main Character: Ugh! This is nothing at all like I thought it would be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For me, I think more about the cheesy graphics and that turns me off.