Monday, October 24, 2016

Job Situation

Here's an update on my job situation! Like I said early last month, I gave up on getting the IRS call center job, since they put me into the secondary quality group. But it's still ideal for me to get a tax job, since they tend to be from January to April, and December through March is the maternity leave period. (More or less. It'll depend on my job situation.)

So I decided to go for a job in preparing tax returns. To do that, you need official certification. My best shot is to take a tax class through H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt. But, um...it's a little late for that. Most of the courses start in July or August. I had no idea they started that early!

Given those circumstances, my best bet is to take the Jackson Hewitt online course and put a huge amount of crunch time into it. I've got two months, thereabouts. I can do it! So I worked with the people there to get me signed up as a late addition to the course, paid the course fee, and...

Then the IRS sent me a tentative job offer for the call center job. Like, right after I mailed the check to Jackson Hewitt. Argh! The timing couldn't be crazier!

Last week, I did all of the required "next steps" for the IRS job, which was mostly filling out forms, but also involved a trip downtown to get fingerprinted by the Department of Justice. Also, all the books for the Jackson Hewitt course were mailed to my house.

So right now, I'm waiting to hear back from the IRS, as to what happens next. If it turns out they don't give me a firm job offer for whatever reason, I've still got the Jackson Hewitt course in my back pocket as a possible job. My wife says it's illegal to work for the IRS and work as a paid tax preparer at the same time, so I can't do both.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Michael, either way, things tend to work out for the best in the long run. Best of luck to you and your (growing) family!

Anonymous said...

if you take the test will you be certified forever (meaning you dont need to ever take the test again)? Certification is always good! Take which ever gives a firm offer first, if they both offer at the same time, take the most money :)

Anonymous said...

I know you get paid on youtube for views now that you have ads on your videos, but does it count if the viewer has Adblock?

Aaron M. Fugate said...

The whole process sounds pretty... taxing... to me.