Friday, September 16, 2016

Trump's Maternity Leave Plan

In the news this week, Donald Trump announced his maternity leave plan. Hillary Clinton's maternity leave plan is here. I'm glad to see both Presidential candidates support paid maternity leave, but is there any chance we could get this legislation enacted before my child is born?

The main difference between the two plans is that Trump offers six weeks of paid maternal leave, whereas Clinton offers twelve weeks of paid family leave. Obviously, Clinton has a better offer, but since Trump's plan is less expensive, it's more likely to get through Congress.

Both candidates have plans for childcare, which is a whole 'nother beast. Clinton wants to cap childcare costs at 10%, while Trump's plan seems to give a 15% tax deduction for childcare. Obviously, childcare costs vary from place to place. Personally, I'd like to see a childcare plan which covers stay at home parents, like me. Sure, I'm not hiring a professional to watch my stepchild, but it's not like watching the kid is 100% free for me.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Seriously? You think that you should be paid to raise your children?

Michael Gray said...

"Paying people to raise their kids" is the basic idea behind the Earned Income Tax Credit. I'm not eligible for the EIC, sadly. Free money from the government is always nice.

Emily said...

Life insurance policies often include a set amount for hiring housekeepers, childcare and other stuff your spouse did. The idea is that if you don't have that person around you'd need to hire someone to manage those tasks to continue managing your life as efficiently as you were previously.

I think a similar program for living people makes good sense. It pumps more money into the economy and makes it easier for everyone to invest in quality care for their families. Having the time/resources to raise your family effectively should NOT be a luxury.

Anonymous said...

So happy I live in Canada