Thursday, August 11, 2016

Three Things Thursday

1. Hey, we figured out why the summer camps are so crazy! Or at least, why the college kids in charge of traffic had no idea what they're doing.

Turns out they're NOT college kids. They're high school kids. The only reason they were at the camp is because they have mandatory service hours to fulfill. So it's a nasty combination of people without driving experience, people who don't want to be there in the first place, and people who want to waste as much time as possible. That 100% explains why they did a bad job of traffic flow.

2. We're taking childbirth classes, and I had to stop myself from laughing when the instructor starting using the word doula to refer to midwives. That word is Greek for "slave". It usually gets translated as "servant" today, but trust me, it means "slave". Specifically, someone who was born a slave, as opposed to someone who was made a slave.

3. Speaking of baby stuff, I should note that movies and TV are wrong, when it comes to morning sickness. In real life, morning sickness lasts all day. Makes sense, right? A woman is pregnant all day, not just in the morning, so if pregnancy is making her sick, it'd happen all day long.

We're past the morning sickness point, and at the "mother constantly has to change sleeping positions" point. Sleeping is difficult.

4 comments:

Moonie G said...

Here is a video for pregnant women on sleeping preference :
https://youtu.be/Ig0quU4EAAY

giggle251 said...

One thing I will tell you in advance is to have over 460 videos uploaded to the channel and ready to go from private to public for the channel after the birth, I have a 3 year old btw, That should give you sometime to bond time with the baby and also makes it possible to keep the channel up and running for about 3ish months.

Katie said...

A doula is not a midwife. A doula has a completely separate function - he/she is there to support the mother in any way needed. She does not serve a medical role. Midwives do. I have given birth twice, and each time, I had both a midwife and a doula.

Anonymous said...

A lot of women swear by these pregnancy body pillows, but we don't have a ton of money to throw around so I built a kind of nest of pillows where I was uncomfortable. I still woke up but not as often and I was a lot more comfortable