Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Pregnancy Cravings

People seem interested in my wife's pregnancy, so I figured I could talk about it some more. This is probably a once-in-a-lifetime event, after all!

At the childbirth class, the instructor made each couple say their favorite and least favorite thing about being pregnant. The two things that came up most were alcohol and food cravings. Some women miss being able to drink, while some men love having a non-drinking wife, who can always be the designated driver. This hasn't been an issue with us. I'm a sad drunk, so I generally avoid drinking to begin with. Plus, it's pretty mean for me to say, "Hey, Katie, you have to go out drinking with me. Just sit in the corner for an hour until I'm ready for you to take me home."

As for food cravings, it seems like the women go, "Hey, I'm craving a cheeseburger right now. Drop everything you're doing and go get me one." And the man has to get the food as soon as possible, just like in Lady and the Tramp. Some of the guys like the excuse to get cheeseburgers at weird hours. Some of the girls like the excuse to boss their men around. Katie hasn't had any food cravings, beyond an occasional coffee once a month, but she doesn't feel the need to make me into her personal chauffeur.

So, I dunno. It seems like the other pregnant couples in our class like to boss each other around. The guys force the girls to be their beer caddies, while the girls force the guys to be their food caddies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been pregnant but if I were I would definitely make my partner get me food I'm craving. Women have to carry a human being for 9 months. I think the least a man can do is get her a cheeseburger.

Katie said...

The food craving thing never happened to me. I had food aversions - food I regularly love, but wouldn't touch while pregnant. But the whole "I want a cheeseburger in the middle of the night thing" seems a little too "TV/Movie pregnancy" than real pregnancy to me. Sounds sort of made up on their parts. I could be wrong.