Sunday, August 21, 2016

Baby's Name

We want to name the baby Roseann Gray, after my grandmother. She was named after her two grandmothers, Rose and Anne. And while it's a nice family name, the problem is that there was a popular TV show named "Roseanne". Everyone will think we're naming the baby after the show! Not to mention, baby Roseann will suffer from a lifetime of people misspelling her name, by adding an extra "e" on the end.

Is it possible to name the baby Rose Ann? Back in the 80's, it was a trend to have double first names. You see it in the Baby-Sitters Club series, with Mary Anne and Emily Michelle. Very rarely do those girls get referred to by only the first name. They're both part of the first name.

Do these girls have middle names? Like, Mary Anne Beth Spier. Is it possible for someone to have a double first name and a double middle name? Mary Anne Jo Beth Spier. That's a mouthful!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

While people might be reminded of the show Roseanne, I don't think anyone would actually assume that you named your kid after it. People will add an 'e' at the end though, so that's a legit concern.

My sister and I both have double first names, but neither of us EVER goes by both of them. My full first name is hyphenated; hers is not, it is two words, so for the longest time, we BOTH thought her second first name was her first middle name. We both have middle names in addition to our second first names. Hyphenating her name, like mine, to Rose-Ann could be an option to consider. OR, you could keep it one word and capitalize the 'A' - RoseAnn.

I personally think that having a double first name is a hassle when it comes to legal documents and such. And as I said before, I don't ever go by both of my first names, so you run the risk of her dropping the use of 'Ann' if you split it up into two. If it were me, I'd keep it together, if possible, but of course it is absolutely your choice!!

Hilary said...

I know a Betty Jo and a Becky Jo. Both have two first names! It is possible to do. Why don't you use Rose as a first name, and Ann as a middle name. Rose Ann Gray. Sounds beautiful. Enjoy all your walkthroughs and commentary! Been watching your videos since 2007. Great entertainment. Good bless, and congratulations on a new addition!

Anonymous said...

People barely remember the show roseanne today, by the time your daughter is in school, I doubt any fellow 2nd graders will know it. You should ask your daughter and her friends if they know the show. You would be surprised how quickly pop culture is forgotten.

A lot of people use unique spellings of names so I wouldnt worry about the Roseann thing. But if you name her Rose Ann, It is most likely people will just call her Rose

It is a nice name with meaning!

Sarah Klauda said...

Ann Rose?

Anonymous said...

How about 'Rosanna'?

Anonymous said...

What about Rosianne, and you can call her Rosie for short

Mary Agnes said...

You could have her first name be Rose and her middle name Ann, and then just call her by her first and middle name. I go by my first and middle name and I really like it. I think it's kind of unique.

LGelevator said...

I know a couple people with double first names as well (including a "Mary B."; yes, that is her first name, not a first name and middle initial), so Rose Ann would be fine.

Anonymous said...

Rosieanna?
Roseanna?
Rosa?

Trisha Gaurav said...

What if she ends up being a tomboy? Try something less girly, maybe Emma.