Wednesday, August 24, 2016

African Chicken

Recipe #2 was spicy braised African chicken. With this recipe, you use a tablespoon of olive oil. Put it in a skillet, along with salted chicken. You cook it for 5 minutes on each side, then put the chicken in a pot.

Then, you add two onions, which were sliced into rings. Cook them for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. The recipe tells you to add raisins, 1/2 tsp of curry, ginger, cardamom, and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Very spicy stuff, and um...stuff I didn't have. Oops. I added what I could, and you get spicy onions.

You put the flavored onions on the chicken, then add a cup of chicken broth and a half-cup of white wine. I didn't add wine, myself. You cook on low heat for an hour, then you uncover and simmer for 15 more minutes. Serve over couscous.

In the end, it tasted like...slightly flavored chicken. Not a lot of payoff, for such a long recipe, but then again, I didn't have some ingredients. Still, I'm just about ready to give up on chicken recipes. No matter what I do, it always ends up tasting like chicken that I dropped spices on, two minutes before serving. Next time, I'll skip the whole complicated setup and just dump random spices on. It will probably end up tasking the same!

The onions were the interesting part of the recipe, because they become stringy, thanks to how you cut them and heat them. I might try making onions like that again! I'd make them plain, though. That's better than super spicy.

2 comments:

Elentarien said...

I have to agree. I have found very few *good* chicken recipes either. If they are 'good', they generally give you a nice tasting outside and a 'meh, it's cooked chicken' inside. Which. . .in my mind is somewhat pointless. I mean, if you want flavoured chicken, you want the flavour going all the way through - or at least strong enough to carry along as you eat the less flavoured meat.

One thing I have found that DOES work, is making your own 'shake and bake'. (Which, I suppose is technically a brand and once you make it is no longer the brand at all, but whatever. lol)

A really good recipe for this that I've been using for my family with great success:

Ingredients:
4 cups dry bread crumbs (Panko crumbs work best - gives the best crunchy coating)
1/3 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon minced onion
1 pinch dried basil leaves
1 pinch dried parsley
1 pinch dried oregano
Optional: 1 tablespoon herbes de provence

Directions:

In a large resealable plastic bag (or large bowl and put in wide-mouth container after, for those of us who prefer to avoid plastics!) combine the all ingredients together. Seal bag (stir in bowl) and shake all ingredients together.


Store in fridge or freezer between uses. *Note: The coconut oil will resolidify as it's chilled. Make sure it's mixed in well while it's still melted. Any clumps it causes can easily be broken apart when it's used again.

**Note: The recipe as it stands is a little 'underwhelming', feel free to be generous with the ingredients while adding them. IE, heaping tablespoons, etc. to give it a bit more kick.

Moonie G said...

To warm the coconut oil, put the disired measure to a saucepan on medium to high heat and stirred constantly until the oil has melted