Sunday, July 17, 2016

Finding Dory

I got to see Finding Dory at a drive-thru! Mary was super-excited to watch it, while Katie slept through the whole thing. I was half-asleep myself.

I liked the movie, and I thought it was way better than the original Finding Nemo. That's not saying much, though, because I kind of hated Finding Nemo. Sorry, but I didn't like any of the main characters. Marlin and Nemo were too whiny for my taste, and Dory's humor sort of fell flat.

Well, the second movie is better! Dory's humor still kind of falls flat for me. There's only so many times you can do the "ha ha, she forgot something" joke, before it stops being funny, you know? But the movie develops her character, beyond quirky comic relief, which was a welcome change. I also liked Dory's parents, although the movie kind of made it impossible not to like her parents. They're set up to be the most wonderful parents ever, through the use of copious flashbacks.

Dory's new friend Hank was interesting, too, simply because you weren't sure if he was a good guy or a bad guy. Her other friends were mostly nice and funny. I liked the sea lions who were possessive of their rock, even if that was just a variation of the seagull joke from the first movie. It worked better here, since they sounded more like real-life sea lions than the seagulls sounded like real-life seagulls. I should know! There are some sea lions in the Willamette Valley. They're fun to look at, until boating season starts, and they wisely get as far away as possible.

No comments: