Tuesday, July 19, 2016

BSC Super Specials

Next on my reading list is Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #2. I didn't like the first one or the BSC prequel book, because I don't like the format.

The format is that the characters switch narration, every single chapter. Every girl gets a chance to narrate, and they each get their own subplot.

The problem is that there are seven baby-sitters. So each girl gets three chapters to narrate. And three chapters is not long enough to fully introduce and resolve a subplot. Plus, you have to wait six chapters in between every iteration of a subplot, making it hard to remember what's going on.

The most common subplot seems to be the Vacation Boyfriend subplot.

Chapter 1: Girl meets boy. She thinks he's cute.
Chapter 2: Girl talks to boy. Oh my gosh, he likes her, too!
Chapter 3: Girl and boy go out on date. This ends in tragedy or romance.

There's not a lot of wiggle room there, because there's only room for three chapters, and one of them HAS to introduce the romantic interest. I'd prefer it if we had more developed stories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's a bit off topic, but have you seen Zootopia or The Secret Life of Pets? Zootopia was a hit a few months ago, and The Secret Life of Pets is dominating the box office currently.

--Marie

Michael Gray said...

I have seen neither movie.

Anonymous said...

Zootopia Sloth Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY73vFGhSVk

Second funniest thing I've ever seen.