Monday, June 6, 2016

Rice and Apples

One recipe my family actually liked was rice and apples! Technically it's a breakfast dish, but we have it for dinner.

You mix 1/2 cup rice, 4 cups of milk, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt inside a casserole dish. You bake that in the oven at 275 for two hours, occasionally stirring to prevent sticking.

Then, you add 2-3 sliced apples. I add 3-4 apples, because the daughter loves the tiny apple bits floating inside the rice. You bake it for another hour, and that's it.

I've never had porridge, but I think this is a porridge recipe. Porridge with apples isn't so bad. To make it healthier, don't add as much sugar. Thanks to Carole Arkin, for contributing this recipe to cookbook!

4 comments:

Paul said...

This sounds good!! What kind of rice do you use?

Michael Gray said...

There are different kinds of rice?

Paul said...

White, brown, long grain? Short grain? Red? Wild? Jerry? (I made that last one up.)

Michael Gray said...

My wife says the kind of rice we have is white or long grain.