Friday, June 3, 2016

Cooking Cowboy Cornbread

I tried out two new recipes recently. The first one is cowboy cornbread, by Phyllis Harvey. It has two parts.

Part one is the cornbread. You mix a cup of cornmeal, two eggs, a cup of milk, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. I guess it's your standard cornbread, except there isn't any sugar. Then come the ingredients that got my attention! You add a can of creamed corn and 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings. I've never seen bacon drippings in a recipe, and the idea of putting corn inside cornbread is neat!

Part two is a pound of meat, which is sautéed with a chopped onion and four chopped jalapeno peppers. No way my daughter would eat anything with jalapenos, so...I left those out. I've never sautéed anything before, and I'm not sure how to do it, so I cooked it in a frying pan like normal.

Once you've got those things ready, you put half the cornmeal in a dish, then you add the meat. Put shredded cheese in at this point, if you want to. Then put the other half of the cornmeal on top, and bake it for 45 minutes at 350.

My family hate the recipe, and I don't really blame them. It ended up being meat, inside cornbread. It didn't bake into the bread or anything; the thing instantly fell apart. I still like the idea of corn inside cornbread, though. Maybe I'll try that with the cornbread recipe which comes on the back of the cornmeal box.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Corn in cornbread is common. I'd use frozen kernels instead of creamed corn. Also, cornbread is one thing and meat is another. There's no reason to combine them into one dish. Next time, make the corn bread with some pork chops and baked beans, all cooked separately!

Emily said...

Saute is just the cooking term for "add a bit of oil to a pan and fry it." = )

Anonymous said...

Bacon drippings aren't usually in most foods anymore, they're outdated as an ingredient, like lard or margarine is. Bacon drippings are still found in some rich European foods, like German potato dishes. I would also suggest thawed frozen corn for cornbread.

Anonymous said...

you could make the corn bread. Separately you could make the meat fry up. When the corn breead is done, cut it in half horizontally, and scoop out some of the insides and then put the meat in, and serve.

Or you could do the fried meat served over the corn bread or on the side.