Thursday, May 26, 2016

Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea

I got to rewatch Little Mermaid 2 recently.

The movie is widely disliked, so much that the third movie completely ignores its existence. But it's honestly not that bad. The premise is the first movie, reversed. Ariel was the rebellious teenage mermaid who wanted to be a human. Now her daughter Melody is a rebellious teenage human who wants to be a mermaid. What a twist!

I'm not sure why people dislike the new premise so much, seeing as it's the pretty much the same thing as the first movie. I guess maybe they're upset that the plot is a rehash of the first, instead of being something completely new and unique. Or maybe people don't like the movie, because Ariel grows up to become a crazy overprotective parent. That doesn't seem like Ariel at all! That seems like Ariel breaking character, because the plot demands it.

I actually think it's kind of realistic for Ariel to be overprotective, because her dad was. Yes, she didn't like it when Dad acted that way, but a lot of people end up unconsciously imitating their parents' parenting behaviors, whether they like it or not.

Now that I'm older, I can better see that Melody's wacky new friends are basically Timon and Pumbaa from The Lion King, just without the fart jokes. I didn't really like the fart jokes, so I think it's kind of an improvement in that respect! Timon and Pumbaa are a lot funnier, though.

I don't have anything else to say. I kind of like the movie; my younger sister watched it all the time, while growing up, so I built up an immunity to some of the bad aspects. Same thing for High School Musical. They're both movies that I'd watch if they were on TV, but I wouldn't go out of my way to rewatch it.

No comments: