Friday, April 1, 2016

Nancy Drew TV Show

I have a confession to make: I've been lying about where I was, two weeks ago. I was actually in New York City, for the filming of the Nancy Drew TV show.

I was super-excited that they asked me to guest star in the pilot, even though this is the TV industry, so odds are that the pilot will never be seen on TV. But as it turned out, I'm not much of a guest star. I don't have any lines or, well, movement. I played the role of Corpse #3.

Basically, my body gets zipped up in a bag in the morgue, and that is it. I'm not usually claustrophobic, but I felt a little squeamish when they zipped me up and put me in the small, enclosed space. What if they forgot about me and left me to suffocate? The good news is that I didn't feel squeamish anymore, after the third take.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the actress playing Nancy, because she had to move on to the next scene. Sadness. But I did get to chat with the actor playing the morgue director, since he was the actor who zips me up and tells Nancy about when my body was found. Not the best role ever, but hey, at least he got some lines. It turns out that his paycheck tripled in size, because he got to speak on camera. Nice!

I didn't want to leave the set, so I snuck into the break room to get donuts. (They didn't have any.) That's where a woman came up to me and introduced herself as an agent from Simon and Schuster. You know, the book company that owns Nancy Drew? CBS owns them. You could kind of tell that both she and I had no business being on a TV set. Anyway, she knew who I was. It turns out that Simon and Schuster specially requested to have me on the TV show.

"But why?" I asked.

She leaned in close and said, "We wanted to kill you, because you keep giving us bad book reviews."

"Oh," I said. "April Fools."

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great Michael! I got half way through the post before I realized it was an April Fools joke.

Kelsie N said...

I realized it was an April Fools joke immediately, possibly because I also saw your newest YouTube video, but I still loved the premise! Love your dedication to your fans and your writing. Very clever.:)

Mary Alvin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abby said...

I fell for it until I remembered last April Fool's day. It would've been cool, though, if you had been "corpse no. 3".
Also, thanks for answering my last comment!

Kelsie N said...

Ahaha, I agree Abby! ^ Then it would be on the credits: Corpse # 3 - Michael Grey.

Kelsie N said...
This comment has been removed by the author.