Friday, April 29, 2016

DS9 Season 1, Epsidoes 1-7

While I'm still thinking about Season 1 of Deep Space Nine, I figured I could talk about the various episodes. Sort of like my reviews for the Land Before Time series? I dunno. I can review the first season's episodes, at least, and if people don't like it, I won't continue.

Does the pilot count as an episode? I liked it a lot, and I especially liked the god-aliens who live in the eternal present. Great idea, great execution!

"Past Prologue" introduces Garak the Cardassian tailor, who is a really fascinating character. I liked that! The other storyline was Kira's old boyfriend, who tries to reconnect with her, but it ends up being a trick. I did not like that.

In "A Man Alone", Odo is framed for murder. At one point, he asks why Sisko trusts him, when the two men barely know each other. That's the main problem with the episode! We don't know Odo's character and what he's like at this point in the series. It's only the second episode! I think I would have liked this episode better, if it was at the end of the season.

"Babel" is more of a traditional Star Trek episode, in that the crew is suffering from an unknown ailment, and we need to figure out what it is. They easily could have done this story on one of the other Star Trek shows. I seem to remember that it was mostly well done.

I didn't like "Captive Pursuit". The first third was interesting, as a strange alien appeared on the station, and we had to figure out what was going on. That was neat, and the mystery was good. But then other aliens appeared, and we learned the story: they're hunting the first alien for sport. Cue a LOT of moralizing about how hunting is evil. I don't like hunting myself, but I thought it was overdone.

I talked about Q-Less elsewhere.






No comments: