Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Detective Barbie 2: The Vacation Mystery

I'm having a rough time with Detective Barbie 2: The Vacation Mystery. My family and I got about 40 minutes in, before we hit a dead wall.

This game is kind of like a scavenger hunt. You find various clues, which are related to a certain location. For example, if you find teacups or sugar, you're supposed to go to the dining room. If you find the map and globe, you're supposed to go to the lighthouse. If you find a letter and a bell, you're supposed to go to the front desk.

The problem is that the game crashes, if you go to the maze, the gazebo, or the hidden passageway near the child. There is no way around this problem. So if you have a clue leading to one of these three areas, you're stuck. Game over. Impossible to win.

So there's about a one in four chance of the game being unwinnable, every time you play.

Each area has its own puzzle for you to solve. In the dining room, you have a piano puzzle. At the front desk, you move mailboxes to fit a certain pattern. To beat the game, you must solve two puzzles, and you must do two chase sequences.

The chase sequences are pretty much impossible. Here is a livestream of me, playing the game. Note how it took over an hour for me to do the two-minute boat chase sequence. And that's the easy one.. Sand rover is the same thing, with more items you have to dodge. Hang gliding is shorter, but harder, since it requires you to go along a randomized track.

Overall, the game is too hard. It's got game-breaking glitches, and the chase sequences are too difficult, considering that children are supposed to beat them. I'm still going to do a walkthrough for the game, but dang, it's tough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try playing Secret Agent Barbie. It is less confusing and is more like a mystery.

Stripes said...

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for the version of windows it was meant for?

The Red Wolf said...

When I had Windows 95 (decades ago) my game never crashed and I was in elementary school and I easily solved this game. I'm surprised you find it difficult.

SumoBro Gaming said...

You took the video down, so we can't watch it.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I vaguely remember being able to access the gazebo when I used to play this game a long time ago. That was on a Windows 98 computer. Now playing it on Windows 7, and I can't figure a way around the problem. Sucks...I used to love this game, though I only solved it once. I have a horrible time catching the bad guy.