Monday, March 14, 2016

The Chinese Trap

Last night, I had a dream about the Chinese Trap, a traditional logic puzzle. It goes something like this:

A Chinese prison has eight different prisoners. One day, some of the food goes bad, and the warden announces one of the prisoners will have to eat spoiled food. In protest, the prisoners all dump their food on the floor.

The warden picks up all the food and puts it together in a stew or something. Now all of the prisoners will have to eat spoiled food, not just one of them.

The warden decides to make a game out of it, so he lets all the prisoners out in backyard/forest area. They get five minutes, before he starts chasing after them. If anyone can avoid being caught for one whole night, they won't have to eat the spoiled food. The prisoners all start running.

I don't remember what happens next. I think the winning prisoner is found eating food in the warden's room, but I'm not sure. My question: Is this actually a story people tell, or did my brain just make the whole thing up?

2 comments:

Elizabeth Pfeffer said...

I think your brain made it up I googled "Chinese Trap" and the only things that come up are the finger trap pranks. Here's more information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap

Anonymous said...

That sounds exactly what would happen in a Chinese prison. Please make sure there aren't Chinese electronic spies around.