Tuesday, March 22, 2016

SCK Patch

Someone made a patch, so you could run the first Nancy Drew game off of your computer, as opposed to running it off of two CDs.

How does it work? I'm not really sure, but it involves changing the "game.ini" file. You can open that as a text file and see that it tells the game where certain folders are located on the computer. These include the folders with the game's video files and the game's audio files. The patch changes the file pathways, so the game looks for files in a specific folder that you set up, not a specific folder on the CD.

I thought I would try this patch with Vampire Diaries, the old Her Interactive game that I can't get to work. It worked halfway! It got rid of the error message that says "cannot find [x] folder". But now I have a new error message that says "Insert CD 3". So...maybe the patch ONLY works with two CDs, and since this is a three CD game, I'm out of luck? Or maybe it's a game where CD is just a data/installation CD, while CDs 2 and 3 are the ones which actually run the game. I don't know, but either way, it looks like I need to find my copy of CD 3 again

No comments: