Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Fire Emblem Fates Conquest

I'm still playing Fire Emblem Fates Conquest, and I figured out how the romance system works. It's less fun than I originally thought...

See, the premise is that you can have any character date any other character. They will get married and have a child together. There are dozens of characters, leading to hundreds of possible relationships!

But not really.

See, it takes a lot of work to program hundreds of relationships. So to simplify things, the game completely ignores the female characters. Whenever a couple gets married and has a child, the child's name and identity is based on the father. The mother doesn't really matter. The only exception is Azura and the main character, if you chose to make the main character female.

The child's mother makes a difference, in that the child gets a class and a skill from both parents, and if you really care about that stuff, you can use it to make a character with specific classes/skills. I like the idea of that, but memorizing classes and skills is getting a little too involved for my taste.

Anyway, now that I know how the dating system works, I'm less interested. I wanted to be a master romance guy and create fantastic pairs for all the characters. But since only the male character matters in relationships, what's the point? I'll get the same basic kid, no matter who the man is paired with.

At least the story is interesting. Kind of. The game is has repeated the "bad guy sends our hero on a suicide mission" story about five times in a row. Time to change it up, people!

No comments: