Friday, February 5, 2016

Spanish

In my previous post, I said I speak fluent Spanish. Kind of.

See, I know Church Spanish. I learned how to say things like "We give you thanks for all your benefits, O almighty and ever-living God, forever and ever. Amen." I'm not so good with everyday Spanish, which is what usually gets taught in most Spanish classes.

Tax law also has a specialized vocabulary that isn't part of everyday language. Are any of you readers multilingual? Try saying and understanding this sentence in a non-English language: "The DOW went down 500 points last week, so my mutual fund gave out cash benefits instead of dividends, which messed up my estimated tax payments." Not the sort of thing you learn in Spanish 101, is it? But definitely something you could learn in Tax Preparation 101.

In fact, this problem comes up so often with the IRS that they give out free Spanish/English translation guides, which defines all terms in both languages. I'll definitely be looking that up.

I'm hoping that since I know one type of specialized Spanish vocabulary (Church Spanish), it will super-easy for me to learn another type of specialized Spanish vocabulary (finance Spanish). Maybe? Let's hope!

1 comment:

John Jekyllson said...

I have this same problem! My girlfriend only speaks Spanish, and even though I'm fluent, I always have to keep a translator or dictionary on hand because there are too many words you're expected to know which the average person only actually says a few times a year. Best wishes for your learning process! :)