Thursday, February 18, 2016

Secrets Can Kill Bonus Audio

I've been playing Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill so I can make an "Everything Wrong With" video for it. I took a brief glance at the audio files for this game, and man, there is a lot of stuff that didn't make it into the game itself. Things like the Nancy Drew rap, for example.

Accessing the audio is difficult, because the game is so old. What you have to do is import the audio files as raw data, in an audio editor. Even then, the audio comes out weird. It took me a while to figure out that the audio sounds good, only if you adjust the sample rate to 22050 Hz while importing. That's half of the recommended rate.

(I have no idea what that means. I'm sure some audiophiles do.)

Even then, the audio has a one in three chance of sounding weird, and I have to use the "change speed" option to prevent everyone from sounding like chipmunks.

I'm going to slowly make my way through these audio files! Maybe make a video of all the possible conversations in the game, or something. Some of the unused music is pretty good, so I'll at least try to put that on YouTube at some point.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats a great idea to make youtube posts of hidden files from the games (maybe a playlist?). I have heard some hidden files in various places, but it would be nice all in one place!

It is so funny how many people in the comments on youtube thought you had written, sung and recorded the nancy rap : )

Anonymous said...

Hey, Michael, it is not a good idea that they are making a new Harry Potter book, because well the Harry Potter series makes witchcraft look good and cool, but in reality this kind of stuff is dangerous for us Christians (Catholics or Non-Catholics). Using magic or witchcraft is spiritually dangerous for anybody, but as Christians, we have to stay away from games, videos or books that glorify the occult. This may sound like too much, but it is true. The occult is dangerous, because when we bring the occult in our life, we are opening doors for the devil. And the devil wants to get us in any way he can get us. A good site that gives a lot of information about the occult and the New Age is this one: http://www.womenofgrace.com/blog/?cat=925 It talks about different subjects of the New Age. Take care.

lence said...

yep, I would appreciate you posting hidden audio files :)

The Red Wolf said...

I didn't know about the Nancy Drew rap song! Wow, I'm glad they kept the back beat of the song, but as good as the song is on its own, it's a little dark for the game(s). And I finally understand where the phrase "Like a bullet from a gun, she arrives on the scene" came from because in The White Wolf of Icicle Creek when Nancy is in the bathroom, that is one of the phrases she says. Thanks for this video, Michael!