Thursday, December 3, 2015

Three Things Thursday

1. Every day, I read some newspaper comics in Spanish, to help me remember the language. Currently, the re-runs for Calvin and Hobbes are getting close to the end of the strip. Hindsight is 20/20, but I can say that it's no surprise Bill Watterson quit the strip, in order to become a virtual hermit. He spends a LOT of time complaining about modern technology and modern society.

2. In Haunting of Castle Malloy, Ned says it's around 2 PM. Doing the math, that means the game takes place around 8 PM, Ireland time.

3. I haven't watched SpongeBob Squarepants in many years. I stopped watching around the time that the Mr. Krabs / Plankton rivalry stole the show and became the focus of pretty much every episode. When this happened, Mr. Krabs a meaner, nastier character; he does a lot of horrible, awful things. But he's the hero, so he's allowed to get away with it, scot-free.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gods, One Coarse Meal. That episode all but ruined Mr Krabs' character irreparably.

Ray Day said...

Hey Michael, can I still make a game recommendation for you? I think you, Mary and Katie might like playing "Sabrina the Teenage Witch: Spellbound," based on the live action TV show. I remember it being about doing certain tasks and scavenger-based puzzles to turn Sabrina human again. A lot of comedy. Check it out if you like?

Katie Nelson said...

1. Lol wow, why didn't I think of that...I'm the one who's supposed to be learning Spanish!!! Wow, I need to start doing that....
2. Huh, interesting.
3. Yeah, I was never really a big one for Spongebob...

Anonymous said...

3: What? The show has always cast Plankton as the more sympathetic character and always made Mr. Krabs out to be a douche. Spongebob is the one who thinks Plankton is the bad guy, but that's because Mr. Krabs tells him that. The show has gone down in quality over the years, but it has become more and more satirical; the Mr. Krabs/Plankton dynamic is a part of that. It blurs the line of Hero and Villian.

Anonymous said...

3. You should honestly just avoid any Spongebob after 2003. That's about the definitive line where they lost the good jokes like "My leg!", and moved on to really grotesque, often disturbing sight gags. I can think of one episode with the Flying Dutchman from like 04/05 that had really scary imagery that I certainly wouldn't have wanted to see as an adult or 7 year old. I know you can't block certain Spongebobs and allow others (it would be a shame to not watch classics like the Snail Race episode or Band Geeks), but food for thought.

Off topic: I just wanted to thank you Michael for being aware of the jokes you make during game walkthroughs. I watched a game youtuber recently who used already outdated and annoying popculture references, and it made me realize how well your walkthroughs hold up. Your really early walkthroughs are still completely watchable and useful because you say helpful hints and only use general humor, or jokes about the game itself. I wish other youtubers realized their videos could be up forever, and no one wants to hear someone making a Shrek joke five years after the fact when they just want to watch a walkthrough or get hints. So thanks for future-proofing your videos!

SumoBro Gaming said...

I know that this doesn't relate to this post, but have you heard about Nancy Drew: Codes and Clues? That just announced it!