Thursday, December 17, 2015

New Star Trek Series

CBS has announced they're making a new Star Trek series, which will debut...next year? Or maybe in two years, since "next year" is really "next month", at this point.

The TV series won't be related to the ongoing movie series, although some of the production-type people will work on both projects. I haven't seen the current movie series, but I understand it's a reboot of the original series, with lots of drama and lens flares. Hopefully, there's still room for jokes, though. I like how pretty much every Star Trek episode ends with a joke.

What do I want to see from the new Star Trek series? Here's an answer that I don't other people are saying. I want them to go back to classically-trained, Shakespearean actors, like William Shatner and Patrick Stewart. My wife says all the more recent Star Trek shows use Hollywood actors. That makes sense, because they probably filmed in Hollywood. But the Shakespeare guys definitely have a different acting style.

And it kind of fits with sci-fi, because in both cases, the actors have to say a lot of things and mean them, even if the audience has no idea what they're saying, whether it's "I'm calculating the reversed polarity of the positronic network" or "The most peaceable way for you, if you do take a thief, is, to let him show himself what he is and steal out of your company".

No comments: