Saturday, November 14, 2015

Paris

I feel like I should write something about the situation in France right now, but I don't know what to say.

Paris was attacked yesterday. The news first broke during my soap operas, with a World Special Report saying that gunmen had attacked restaurants near a soccer stadium, before attacking people in the stadium itself. Over ten people died.

The news reports kept getting updated, as the day went on. More attacks, in different places. The estimated death toll went from ten, to twenty, to dozens, to a hundred, and last I saw, it's at a hundred and fifty. I hope the number doesn't get any higher.

I don't know what I can say about the situation, because I'm still kind of in shock at the unexpectedness of it all. I guess I'll just share what Pope Francis said on the situation: "I am shaken and pained. I don't understand, but these things are difficult to understand, how human beings can do this. That is why I am shaken, pained and am praying." "This is not human." There can be no "religious or human" justification for such actions.

No comments: