Saturday, November 7, 2015

Meatloaf

The recipe I tried this week was microwave meatloaf. Meatloaf was always simple in my house, growing up. You take a thing of ground meat, and you put it into the shape of a bread loaf. Put it in a pan, and then cook it in the oven until it's done. Most oven pans are shaped like a loaf of bread, so it's very simple.

When I tried cooking that meatloaf for my family, Katie said it was tasteless.

It turns out that other people usually make meatloaf with lots of ingredients, not just meat. Chopped onions, oats, bread crumbs, crushed cornflakes, eggs, tomato sauce and ketchup can all be added to the meat to make it taste different.

The recipe said to mix up the raw meat with the other ingredients, then put it in the microwave. You could make it in loaves, or in a circle like a cake. Mary wanted us to make it like a heart, which worked moderately well. Then, you cook it in the microwave for fifteen minutes or so.

The bottom of the tray wasn't completely covered, since we did the heart design. So the fat drizzled out to the empty sides, where there was no meatloaf. That made the sides of the dish all greasy and disgusting. Still, the cooking experiment was a success, because I know what stuff I can put in meatloaf to make it more than just meat. I'll try again someday, cooking it in the oven next time. (Or maybe not. The microwave cookbook has two other meatloaf recipes, so I might want to try them first.)

3 comments:

Katie said...

Favorite meatloaf recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/yes-virginia-there-is-a-great-meatloaf-54257

Family raved about how good it is. I will never use another recipe. I made it exactly as written.

Anonymous said...

My mom makes a meatloaf with prosciutto, provolone, and pine nuts rolled up like a swiss roll. Can't find a recipe, but I find it pretty good - and I hate meatloaf in general. I would recommend it. You could improvise it.

Sarah Klauda said...

There are two kinds of meatloaf- tomato based with ketchup and gravy based. I LERVE ketchup meatloaf but people have their own tastes... now I want meatloaf...