Monday, October 26, 2015

The Muppets

I've been watching The Muppets show. It's an okay show, I guess. I think it would be funnier if it was a live-action show with people, instead of puppets. The show is filmed in the shaky camera style of The Office and Modern Family, and it doesn't always work. Specifically, it fails on the extreme close-up shots that show the characters' expressions. That works fine with humans, but not so much on puppets whose eyes don't move.

It didn't take long for me to realize that the show isn't trying to stay faithful to the original characters. If you're expecting them to be the same as normal, you'll be disappointed. Just like modern Nancy Drew, the best way to enjoy it is to ignore all your reasonable expectations, like "Nancy will be smart enough to solve mysteries on her own".

In the case of The Muppets, the expectation you should ignore is "this is family-friendly entertainment". They make dirty jokes and swear occasionally. I'm not a huge fan of that. I'm also not a huge fan of Kermit's new personality, which is "timid guy who can't make anything work correctly". I prefer the Kermit who's a competent leader.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Muppets was actually started as a comedy program for adults. It wasn't until significantly later that they started to make movies and stuff that was geared towards kids.

They actually said when they announced this new show that they were going back to their more adult roots...though I can see where hearing the muppets swear could be alarming if you hadn't seen that interview. lol