Friday, October 30, 2015

Synod on the Family

I'm eagerly awaiting the English translation of the Catholic Church's final report on family life and marriage. They've been working on it for two years, finishing with a big three-week gathering of 270 Bishops. I want to know what they decided!

I can't trust the news, because they're biased. For example, liberal news places say the document is a victory for them, because it opens the door to divorce. Conservative news places say the document is a victory for them, because it confirms that the door to divorce is still firmly closed, in fact, it's not even a door, it's a brick wall, that's how hard it is to get through it.

I think I know what the problem is, here. The Catholic Church sometimes picks a "middle of the road" agreement. That is, instead of going with one particular side in a debate, they take the middle ground and come up with something that vaguely appeals to both sides. (Then they wait for 400 years, until the debate is long dead, before making an official decision.)

So I'm waiting for the document to be released in English. Then I'm going to read it myself, and I'm probably going to analyze it to death.

No comments: