Saturday, October 31, 2015

Politics

I've been trying to follow the current political climate, for the sake of the "Cat President" game I mentioned yesterday. It's making me wish that they taught students about politics in school. Maybe they cover modern politics at the end of history textbooks? None of my history classes ever got close to the end of the book, so none of the students got to learn anything that happened within 40 years.

Apparently, both the Democrats and Republicans are made up of three big groups. The Democrats have ideological liberals, rich establishment people and minorities in their camp. Bernie Sanders is popular with the ideologues, while Hilary Clinton is popular with the establishment people. The Republicans have ideological conservatives, rich establishment people and evangelicals in their camp. I don't how the Republican Presidential candidates fall along their party lines, just because there's so many of them.
Bush is popular with their establishment, Trump and Carson are popular with ideologues, and there's no clear front-runner with the evangelicals.

I'm not sure if my information is correct, since it says the rich establishment people fund both groups. Maybe the rich Hollywood types fund the Democrats, while the rich Wall Street types fund the Republicans.

Anyway, the current political climate seems to be one of fear. Both Democrats and Republicans are afraid of their party splitting up into its component groups, and ending up like England where they have 6+ political parties. The Republicans have worries about the Tea Party or Donald Trump spinning off and forming their own separate group. On the Democrat side, the minorities are clashing with the other groups, since they don't have a major candidate. In August, they came out very strongly against Bernie Sanders, and even today, he only has 4% of the black vote in most polls, whereas Clinton has 70-90%.

And that's the sort of thing I've been reading. Polling numbers and analysis! Maybe I should just forget it, and wait until there's only two candidates left.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Oh, man!! For all of elementary school, we never got past the Civil War. Every single year. I don't think I ever learned ANYTHING about World War I/II until I took an honors history course in high school; and we never got anywhere near Vietnam, let alone the present day.

Meg s said...

Basically, the upper class will fund many candidates so when one of the candidates wins, it'll say with the support of (their name)
As far as history classes, I guess it's changed since you were in high school, but for me we take human geography, world history, U.S. history, economics, and government.

Eli said...

We used to talk politics in my history class all the time, but that was because my teacher was a paranoid, everything-is-a-conspiracy Dale Gribble type person. This teacher moved up with us from Freshman year to Junior year. I think schools are pushing politics a bit more heavily since they did in the past, because only about 45% of Millennials who could vote did last Presidential election.