Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Writing

I should not be writing the next Francy Droo videogame, at the same time that I'm reviewing Nancy Drew books. The reviewer/writer sides of my brain get mixed up, and now I'm starting to pre-emptively give my work bad reviews.

For example, the premise of Francy Droo and the Missing Mother-in-Law is that Francy is a bridesmaid, and something bad happens right before the wedding. There are at least four Nancy Drew things with that exact same premise. It's cliché and predictable, and why didn't I do something else?

The premise of the upcoming game is "Francy gets a threatening phone call". Now I'm feeling like that weak and uninteresting, and there's no good reason for that to happen, except the detective needs a mystery to solve. There's a subplot about a soap opera, and I've convinced myself that I'm the only person who will find it amusing.

For another example, the structure. The first game was very formulaic. "Francy goes to a location, meets a suspect, solves a puzzle and finds a clue." That formula repeated three times, and the ending sequence came immediately after. Not very creative, I'll admit. I'm trying a completely new structure with the new game, and I fear that I'm shooting myself in the foot, in an attempt to be different.

The pacing won't work! No one will be kept in suspense! The subplot is too large, and it takes away from the main story! The connection between the subplot and the main plot is tenuous, at best! And man, I can't decide if "confrontational scene with angry man" should come at the end of Day 1 or the start of Day 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's best to just get some kind of draft finished and then see how to make it work as a whole. Otherwise you can get caught up in the details and drive yourself crazy.
After all, having writing you aren't satisfied with is better than having nothing at all.