Friday, July 24, 2015

Yam Casserole

I'm trying out recipes from the Sharp Carousel Convection Microwave cookbook. I have, like, dozens of recipes from this book on my to-cook list. The book is just that awesome.

Yam casserole was pretty good, even if I totally messed it up. The recipe wants you to bake the sweet potatoes in the microwave, for 8-10 minutes. Then you peel and slice them.

Peeling the potatoes took FOREVER. I could barely hold the potatoes because they were so hot. And the insides were mushy, because they just got cooked. Are there, like, cooking gloves that you can wear to protect your fingers?

The recipe then has you add 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup margarine and 1/2 tsp of salt to the potatoes. Then you mash them. I did this with a hand-held masher thing, and that did not end up well. Next time, I'll do that in the food processor or the mixing bowl. (Both of those were wedding presents!) Or, I'll just make mashed yams the normal way, where you peel them BEFORE cooking them. Seems good either way.

On top of the mashed yams, you add a can of crushed pineapple. I made a mistake in not draining the pineapple juice first; that made the end result way too watery. Still! The pineapple was unexpectedly delicious! Microwave the pineapple-on-mashed-yams for 2 minutes.

Finally, you make a topping. Mix a teaspoon of water, with a tablespoon of brown sugar, a tablespoon of margarine, a half teaspoon of cinnamon and a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg. You microwave the topping for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds. Add a cup and a half of marshmallows to the topping, then coat the topping over the casserole. Microwave it for 2-4 minutes. Top it with pecans if you want. (We didn't.)

Mary decided she hates cinnamon, so she refused to eat ANY of the meal, besides the pineapple. (Sad chef face.)

2 comments:

Elizabeth Pfeffer said...

Sounds good I'm sorry Mary didn't like it that makes me sad too!

Elizabeth Pfeffer said...

Just wanted to add that yes there are cooking gloves I found these on target.com http://www.target.com/p/insulated-food-gloves/-/A-12378814?