Thursday, June 18, 2015

Catholic Wedding Stuff

I recently read an article, complaining that the Catholic Church is really bad at weddings. I agree that it can be difficult to get all the paperwork filed and squared away, but pretty much everywhere requires paperwork before a wedding.

So today, I thought I'd discuss three requirements for Catholic weddings, which the author complained about.

1. "You must be a registered member of a church, in order to get married there." I'm going to file this complaint under debunked. Katie and I aren't getting married in our home parish, and this hasn't been an issue in the slightest. Our priest gave it a thumbs-up, and that was the end of that.

2. "You must have a recent copy of your baptismal certificates." Katie and I had a problem with this, actually. We got our baptismal certificates printed off in September. That was easy; we just called our respective churches and asked them to send a copy.

It turns out that "recent" means "within six months". That's six months before the wedding, not six months before the paperwork is processed. So we had to call our respective churches again, and ask for a second baptismal certificate. Kind of annoying, but not a huge deal.

3. "You must be confirmed, before you can be married." Um...no. You must be baptized before marriage, and that's it. Confirmation is recommended, but it is not necessary. If you're in the rough situation where being confirmed will delay the marriage by at least two years--like the person in the article talked about--consider filing an appeal to the people at the diocese offices, downtown.

---

Overall, I'm guessing that the article's author just had bad luck, and had to deal with a really hard-lined priest. Or maybe the priest hit the author with a ton of rules and requirements, since the author is the kind of person who writes online articles that bad-mouth priests.

1 comment:

mark lawrence said...

Thank you so much for sharing these important three requirements for Catholic weddings! You know my sister had the Catholic wedding and it was outstanding. Now I am going to get married and I am interested to have a royal wedding ceremony. Dear, I am having a hard time in finding royal venues for weddings in Los Angeles. Could you please help me?