Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sea of Darkness

I got badly stuck, in my walkthrough for Sea of Darkness. You need to collect five groups of photo scraps, and the final photo scraps come from Gunnar. The problem was I could not trigger the big scene with Gunnar!

It turns out that you trigger the big scene with Gunnar, by starting the photo scrap puzzle. You can't finish the puzzle, because you don't have all the photo scraps, but you have to at least start it. So I put down three out of the twenty photo scraps. That triggered the scene with Gunnar being kicked out of the pub.

Then I got stuck, trying to figure out how to get Gunnar back inside. And by "stuck", I mean I did at least twenty minutes of wandering around, trying everything. It turns out that I had to go back to the photo scrap puzzle, and put all my pieces on the board. Remember, I couldn't solve the puzzle to completion. I just did as much as I possibly could. Somehow, this triggered the scene of Gunnar going back inside the pub, which lets Nancy get the final set of photo scraps.

I'm not sure if that's the correct solution. It seems illogical that you have to put sixteen photo scraps in place, before you can get the final four photo scraps from Gunnar. Maybe it's one of those timed challenges, where Gunnar reappears inside the pub after five minutes of gameplay, no matter what you do during those five minutes. (The phone charging puzzle in Ghost of Thornton Hall and the pottery-making challenge in Labyrinth of Lies work like that)

Now I'm wondering if I can take advantage of this gameplay mechanic, for the purposes of a speedrun. Like, instead of having Gunnar's photos be the last ones I get, I make sure they are the first or second ones. Is that possible? I guess I'll have to make a list of where all the photo scraps come from, then try it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never had to put the photo scraps in place to trigger the scene with Gunnar, so there's something else going on here...

LGelevator said...

I think you can just pull up the sketch puzzle, and don't actually have to put the pieces in place.

Anonymous said...

And to take it one step further, for me the scene with Gunnar occurred before I had even figured out where it was in the game that you put the sketch pieces...