Friday, May 22, 2015

McDonald's

Katie is an auditor, and I don't really understand what she's saying, when she talks about business. So I decided to start studying economics. Now I kind of understand what she's talking about.

In the news this week, people were holding a big protest at McDonald's. They want McDonald's to pay all its employees at least fifteen dollars per hour. That's all well and good, but there's no reason for people to protest at my local McDonald's. The one in our town is a franchise McDonald's.

From what I understand, franchises work like this. Let's travel back in time to the 1980's, when my local McDonald's was built.

Dude: Hey, I want to build a restaurant!
McDonald's Agent: Why not build a McDonald's? They're very popular and make lots of money.
Dude: Isn't that illegal? I mean, I don't own McDonald's.
Agent: It's okay. We'll let you call your restaurant McDonalds, and give you permission to use our logo and sell our food.
Dude: Wow, that's really nice of you!
Agent: In exchange, though, you have to follow all of our rules.
Dude: (reads contract) Most of these rules talk about how food is prepared.
Agent: Of course! We want to make sure the food is prepared the same way at every restaurant.

And that's how my local McDonald's was born. McDonald's doesn't directly own that particular restaurant, but they do get a portion of the profits, and they get to decide what's on the menu. (I think they sell some ingredients to that particular store, but I'm not 100% sure.) I guess it's similar to how Her Interactive makes Nancy Drew games, but they don't actually own Nancy Drew. Simon and Schuster owns Nancy Drew, and they're not selling her anytime soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but my following comment has nothing to do with what you posted. :)
I just wanted to say that under the video Nancy Drew: Midnight in Salem, there was a comment that I thought was really cool about witches being bad. It was made by Jake Rogers and I just wanted to tell him that what he said was true and cool, since witches are not cool. Sadly, they do exist with those Wiccan witches.:( Could you please tell Jake Rogers that I thought what he said was cool, Michael? Sorry to ask this favor when I don't deserve it, but I wanted to try doing it anyway. Thanks, Michael, whether you do it or not. There was not a way for me to do it myself and I just notice people don't see the danger in witchcraft or other types of magic, you know? I thought it was cool for someone to finally say that witches are BAD. The comment was one of the many replies of one of the ones at the top of the comments section. Regardless, thank you, Michael from one human to another. Jesus loves you!

Anonymous said...

With the Her Interactive and Simon and Schuster example, I think it's more that they're buying the rights to use the character, not so much the entire franchise itself. Simon and Schuster laid the framework out (ie what she is, how she looks etc.) and they get the credit for the actual characters themselves (Nancy, Bess, George etc. not the original ones for each game(?)), but Her Interactive gets everything else (my understanding is that some of the games are direct based from books, the rest are a mix of book and original).

A better example to prove my point would be a soundtrack for a movie. A number of movies would use certain songs and in order to use them, they need to get the rights from the record label/estate etc. The estate demands that this particular song can only be used for these sequences otherwise it can't be used and while it'll let the sound guys use the song, the singer/songwriter whoever gets the credit.

Anonymous said...

LOL