Sunday, March 8, 2015

Twitch

I've been thinking about getting a Twitch account recently, because all the cool speedrunners have a Twitch account. I'd like to pretend I'm a legit speedrunner, even though my runs have been frozen in processing since September.

So...how does this work? They say Twitch is a streaming website. Does that mean only live video footage is accepted? Can I upload my old Nancy Drew walkthroughs to Twitch, or not? Can I upload the Nancy Drew videos, which I recorded live?

Someone says I should become a Twitch partner, which basically means I get money from ad revenue. I don't think I meet their minimum requirements. They want 500 viewers per live event, on average. The live Nancy Drew marathon I did last year generally peaked at 250 people per broadcast. They say that they want YouTubers with 100,000 subscribers, but I only have around 30,000. But my Nancy Drew videos do surpass the recommended average view count of 15,000!

On a downside, Twitch wants partners to stream at least three times a week, and I don't play videogames that often.

So...getting a Twitch! Good idea, or not? Trying to get a Twitch Partner account, good idea or not?

4 comments:

Elizabeth Pfeffer said...

Looking around on Twitch you can only do live streaming videos you can't upload videos to Twitch. So you can't upload any of your older videos to Twitch, you can only do live streaming. So I would say that is not such a good idea after all.

Katie Nelson said...

Like @Elizabeth Pfeffer said, Twitch is a livestreaming website. Basically, you can broadcast yourself doing games and stuff live, but you can't upload anything, old or recent. Getting more to the point, I'd definitely say Twitch partnering is not such a great idea. As far as just doing Twitch, eh it just depends. Maybe if you wanted to do more livestreaming, then I'd suggest just getting a normal Twitch account. Basically, unless you want to livestream more than a few times a year, then I suggest not getting a Twitch account at all. So after a billion hours of reading this comment (XD) I would not recommend getting a Twitch account for you.
P.S. On a seperate note, I could go into some pros and cons about it, but then it really would take a lifetime to read this comment so I won't, but being completely honest, as cool as it would be to have another Youtuber freee-eeend (lol, friend :p) join Twitch, I think just doing livestreaming sessions 1 or 2 times a year on Youtube will be just fine.
P.S.S. I'm sorry for the lifetime you spent reading this comment XD.

Katie Nelson said...

Wow that is long...sorry lol.

Anonymous said...

I love live streams! You should definitely get one!